Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Single Girl

First, I want to acknowledge just how amazingly amazing this online quilting community is. I have met some of the nicest, most generous people from all across the world. People I have never met before have reached out to see if I needed help or advice with my move. One sweet, wonderful girl in one of my bees named Heather is sending me a piece of a Good Folks print that I am missing that she happened to have. For real!?!?!? I almost fainted. Being part of this community has really restored my faith in the goodness of people and has made the world feel so small. I LOVE it, and I love all of the people who contribute to it.

Back to sewing. I pulled my single girl out of the closet today. It was such a challenge to piece, when I was finally done, I was totally over it. When I pulled it out today, I was surprised to see that is so much prettier than I remember!




I now appreciate the work that I put into it. I would have taken it outside for some gorgeous pictures on this sunny day, but there is so much white in it that I was totally afraid it would get dirty.

So what to do with this thing? It is huge. I mean HUGE. Like 85 x 85 huge. I am completely intimidated at the thought of quilting it on my little Pfaff. I don't think even half of it would fit through the machine all rolled up sandwich like. I am soooo tempted to send it to my mom (who is a long arm quilter) and let her do the deed. Ugh decisions.

On another note, anyone who lives in or around the Raleigh area, where are the best quilt shops? I have no idea. I need a good modern one, and I don't know if there is one in the area. Also, now that I have a disgusting amount of free time, I have decided to see how many calories I can ingest. I actually have time to cook! Anyone have any fabulous recipes?

In my last post I mentioned that there was something fun in the works. Well, we got the green light to go ahead!! I am not going to say what it is yet, but we are ironing out the details as I type. Look out for the announcement in the near future! I am soo excited!!!

7 comments:

  1. It is beautiful!! I love the big quilts, they are so fun! I have the same dilemma most of the time because I like making big quilts and then don't think it'll go well to do on my machine, so I end up hand quilting them. Which takes forever but I LOVE the end result. I'd suggest that, though as busy as you are it's probably not the best fit. So, I'd send it to your mom...what luck that she long arm quilts! Good luck with the move! Excited to hear about the announcement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your single girl quilt is so pretty! No advice on the quilt shops but good luck with the move to Raleigh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is a longarm quilter and you're even debating what to do? Oh my gosh girl, send her that quilt!!!
    I can't wait to hear what you're working on, sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is stunning. Good for you for finishing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog and am excited to read more!

    PS: That quilt is BEAUTIFUL!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely quilt! It's been a few yeRs since we lived in Raleigh but I do remember Wish Upon A Quilt had some lovely fabrics. John Adams, of quilt dad fame, would know for sure! Very much looking forward to the quilt along... Perfect timing! Enjoy Raleigh, it truly is a fabulous city - we loved it and still miss it 7 years later :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the area! My husband and I have lived here for 11 years and we love it. I live in Cary, and the only quilt shop in the area that has some modern fabrics is Wish Upon a Quilt. It is off of Glenwood Avenue in an industrial area near the airport. Their prices are pretty high, and I have found that it is actually more cost effective to order fabrics online. I am hoping to join you for the Retro Flowers Quilt Along, if I can get the supplies together in time:)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You are leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and try to respond to every comment. If you do not allow blogger to show me your email, the only way I can respond to you is here, so check back! Thanks for reading!