Monday, June 4, 2012

blocked

Do you ever get to that place where you are just officially blocked? I am frustrated with my projects, irritated that I don't have endless money to buy new fabric, full of creative ideas that I can't seem to get on paper, and completely overwhelmed by the whole thing. Every time I pull something out of my closet its just not exactly what I was looking for. Can you tell by the state of my sewing room?




I get so inspired watching all of my blogger friends create amazing things, but I feel like I just don't have enough hours in the day. I am my most creative in the morning.....but every morning I find myself at my desk at work, instead of in my sewing room (this dilemma is the source of my frustration). Lately I have been traveling so much on the weekends that I can barely form a thought, much less start a project.

Even though I am completely stuck creatively, I still keep taking on new projects. Isn't that the definition of insanity? And, I totally wish someone would just give my fabric to create with. Who doesn't though, right? As a quilter, there is always more time than money. Story of our lives I suppose.

I am currently considering the possibility of turning a few of my ideas into patterns. This is literally the most daunting idea I have come up against yet. I thought starting a blog was hard, it was nothing compared to this. I am literally entering into unknown territory with no idea of how the end product will be received.

My hope is that my handstitched class (which started today!) will push me out of the box I am stuck in. Although the class isn't as much about quilting as handstitching, once you get that inspirational boost, it is all you need. Today my sewing room will stay a mess, tomorrow is a new day.

9 comments:

  1. we all hit this point, don't stress yourself by trying to push through it, it'll become a chore - start small and get some instant gratification, it'll turn itself around.. promise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted today about overwhelm too. Maybe it's going around? For me it helps to tackle the little things - like cleaning up and fixing a skirt hem. The little things help my mind have space to tackle the real problems.

    I'm hoping one morning I wake up and know what to do about that craft show!

    So, for you, I do believe one morning you'll wake up and know where to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one that reaches this point! Somehow, we all make it thru. I usually just have to force myself to finish some item that I've commited to, and then I'll get my mojo back. Plus, I make lists - things that have to be done and dream lists... I'm not sure they help, but I do make them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you here. I feel like I have too many must-do's and too many things I've already started and too many things I want to start to get something new! This is partly my fault as I kindof went on swap overdose and now I have to step up and get it all done...I'm hoping this fall/winter to get to do something fun just for me again from start to finish.

    The handstitched class sounds so fun. I hope to hear more about it! Good luck, you'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely know that feeling! Luckily, we have two Bank Holidays here in the UK this week and i feel better already. Maybe you need to give yourself some guiltfree days off (if you can!) to rest andrecover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!!! And while I hate to hear you're feeling that way, it is kinda nice to not feel like the only one! I often wonder where so many bloggers (whom I adore, fyi) get the money and TIME to do everything... this is a personal struggle of mine, comparing myself with others. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! After FQR last weekend, I don't think I'll be able to face sewing for a week or two, total sensory overload!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am completely stunted and have been soo overwhelmed I haven't even been reading blogs. This one just caught my eye this moment because I have been sitting in front of my computer spaced out. I need to get it together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi from maine! Whenever in doubt, use black!! That is what I do, and it always looks WOW!!!! guyie@midmaine.com Have a Happy Day... Gerry

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You are leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and try to respond to every comment. If you do not allow blogger to show me your email, the only way I can respond to you is here, so check back! Thanks for reading!