Sunday, January 20, 2013

#scrappytripalong Almost there

Quilt top pieced and quilt basted, I am in the home stretch on this one. When my shift ended on Wednesday, I took a little break on this quilt to finally start on my Weekender bag. Let me tell you, this bag is not for the meek. It has been incredibly time consuming, but I am almost done and ready to show off! It is rather hard, and thus I'm feeling pretty accomplished. Haha. But back to the quilt at hand.



I have to go back to Columbia today for my final shift on this project and wanted to get the Scrappy Trip Along quilt basted so that I could quilt it while in my hotel room. Basting usually goes pretty smoothly for me, but this one started out as a nightmare. The garage is full of sawdust from the chicken coop that my dad is building, and it was too windy to try to do it on the driveway. The only place left, was inside.

This is not the best idea due to the spray radius of the glue, but it was the only option. For whatever reason, no matter what my Mom and I did, we could not get the backing to lay on the batting smoothly without wrinkles. I can normally get it to lay pretty flat and even and then smooth any remaining wrinkles with my hands, but not this time. Right before I went into full meltdown mode, we called in Dad.

Naturally, Dad knew just what to do. He essentially just wallpapered the whole thing down. I know all of this is just like duh, but I normally can smooth the wrinkles out with my hands after laying down each layer. This however, gave such perfect results (I mean PERFECT, check out that backing) that I recommend it to all home quilt basters.


Here's what we did. The batting was taped to the floor to apply the backing and quilt top to the batting. It makes for easier smoothing when you have the fabric side up rather than batting side up. I like to bast half of the quilt at a time (shown below) so that you have less sticky area to control at once. So, spray basting onto batting. 


The next part is easier if you have three participants. I couldn't get any great pictures while we were mid process since I was one of the three people involved, but hopefully you get the idea. Next week I will be basting the Good Folks quilt and I will see if I can rope someone in to photograph. 

While one person smoothes, have two others hold each corner of the quilt and keep it hovered over the sticky batting. While you are smoothing from the middle towards the end of the quilt, have them slowly lay it down ahead of you. This allows controlled application of the quilt back or top to the batting that is firmly secured, and it allows any wrinkles that may appear to be smoothed out before the entire area of the quilt is set. 


End result, absolutely no wrinkles. Not even the 'i can live with those' wrinkles. I'm sure many people are like yea, obviously, BUT this opened a whole new world to me for perfectly basted quilts. Ill put up an in depth picture tutorial when we baste the Good Folks quilt!


7 comments:

  1. Loving the family event!
    I would hate anyone to photograph me snow-angelling all over the floor whilst I baste mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I wonder how my parents would fancy travelling a 400 mile round trip every time I wanted to baste... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm with katy, I cant get bf to help, parents would, but it's 6000 miles one way.. haha i'll just store up all my basting till they come -- cant wait to see your weekender bag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you found the solution. I always tape down my back, then add the batting, then the top ; ) enjoy quilting it

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so awesome that you got your Mom AND Dad to help! Dads are so great for solving problems for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good old Dad, hey! I had the same trouble a couple of weeks ago. I had to get my two kids aged 9 and 6 to help! It took a little more time than I thought but we got there as best we could. Great idea using the smoothing ruler too. I shall try this next time. I did feel really bad that my kids had to smell the spray baste glue so soon after application.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a twenty
    five foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.
    My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!
    Visit my page ; click through the next article

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You are leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and try to respond to every comment. If you do not allow blogger to show me your email, the only way I can respond to you is here, so check back! Thanks for reading!