I have never put the binding on a quilt prior to quilting it, so this technique was new to me. I spray basted the sandwich, sewed the binding onto the front, whipped it by hand on the back, and then I got to quilting. I drew four vertical and four horizontal lines spaced pretty far apart and sewed them first to tack the sandwich together. Next I will fill in the large spaces between the existing lines with ones that are a little more closely spaced as you can begin to see in the picture below.
Since I was photographing at night, I had a really hard time getting the appropriate amount of exposure on the front side. These two pictures are of the back, but you get the idea. Its essentially the same on both sides...my stitches are just neater on the front!
I also considered ironing the quilt before I photographed it and then I didn't. This quilt traveled 28+ hours in a car with me, camped with me, was sat on by dogs, cats, and people alike, and I thought it would be a nice change of pace to see a quilt that looks like it is being worked on. Hopefully I will finish this week and have it beautiful and ready for photographs of the finished product.